Sunday, February 1, 2009

Learning a New Tune with Cletus

Today I was surprised by a local musician, Cletus, dropping by with only a fiddle and a moped. I was thoroughly entertained by his antics and musical talent. 

Cletus is a Southern Gentleman and Banjo Player, who is known to be a legend in his own mind. He can be spotted round town inspiring young musicians to play melodies in time with proper feel. "Timing is everything," "I can't fit my roll in," or "you gotta set the click to that one" are common Cletus Phrases. This Southern Banjo picker has many entertaining stories that will be shared on this blog along with their Bluegrass ties.

Below is a tune Cletus seems to think is called "Road to Durham." Cletus has been around for many years and can pull songs from thin air, but the titles seem to escape him. Whatever the tune is, please let me know.






Sandy


1 comment:

  1. Cletus has a knack for surprises doesn't he! With all those songs and titles running around in that dome of his it's no wonder that they don't always match up. What's cool is that he is willing to share. You can't beat learning a song or tune from a person sitting across from you. Sometimes you just have to learn by ear or from tab, but it just means that much more when shared by a fellow musician.

    For example, I can't play the tune Whiskey Before Breakfast without thinking about the day that my good friend Michael Walker showed it to me about 10 years ago. His excitement over that tune carried over to me, and to this day I try to play it with some of that same feeling.

    I don't know if that tune is called Road to Durham, but I like it.

    Keith

    ReplyDelete