Wednesday, April 1, 2009

PBR in the Wind

Last night I payed Cletus a visit to learn some tunes, and to try and catch some rare footage of his southern banjo pick'n ways. I was hoping to get him to show me some standard tunes I have learned wrong and played wrong for years. I need to grab the bull by the horns and relearn them. They say it is 7 times harder to relearn a tune after playing it wrong. You have to over come the bad habits you have instilled in the melody, and retrain your motor skills to play the correct melody. Cletus is a great teacher and has no problem telling you that your melody is wrong. 

The tunes I am focusing on are Temprence Reel, Blackberry Blossom, Whiskey Before Breakfast, and Billy in the Lowground. I was fortunate enough to have him show me a great Mark O'Conner Tune called Picking in the Wind.

Here is the rare footage of my friend:



Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment